Wednesday 9 June 2010

Wednesday 9th June

Hello
Have had a problem getting a connection, will see how we get on today.
Saturday :
Simon & I caught the bus into Edinburgh, started by looking for an internet cafe or anywhere with WiFi, eventually we ended up at Starbucks where I left Simon to take things a little easier.
I walked through the park on a very sunny day towards the Castle.
After a long climb I reached the Castle, masses of tourists around, I spent 3 enjoyable hours exploring the Castle and Museums, I then walked down the Royal Mile, with so many people from many countries around it felt very exciting but unfortunately I didn't have time to visit all the places I would have liked to so I have decided I will return at some point and spend a few days at Ediburgh especially as the Campsite was so good.
I returned to the Campsite late afternoon, took Murphy for a walk through the Gardens and woods, sat in the sun reading and resting my feet which over the last 12 weeks have taken quite a pounding.
In the evening after Dinner Simon & I walked to the Pub, had a couple of real ales and had a good chat about the trip.
Sunday :
Left Edinburgh and drove along the coast to North Berwick, Dunbar and stopping for the evening at Coldingham near the lighthouse at St. Abb's Head. As the weather was wet and misty there was not a lot to see.
Monday :
Better day today, after driving to Eyemouth and Berwick upon Tweed I carried on along the coast until I had to make a decision whether to go to Holy Island and Lindisfarne Castle or Bamburgh Castle.
I decided on Bamburgh Castle and I wasn't disappointed as not only was the Castle Stunning but the China , Furniture, Weaponry, Silver and Paintings where a treat to see.
Simon was at the car park when I left the Castle so he stopped for a bite to eat and a cup of tea before cycling off to our next campsite at Craster near Alnwick.
Tuesday :
 Down through Amble and Newbiggin by the Sea and Blyth to Whitley Bay where I stopped for a walk on the beach then on through the Tyne Tunnel until I reached Marsden Bay just past South Shields  where we stopped for the night.
Great little Bay with a sandy beach, this is the first time I have seen a lift from the top of the cliff to the Cafe/Pub built into the rocks below. There was also a large rock just offshore which is a nesting place for hundreds of birds.
Wednesday :
Simon has gone to Newcastle, I decided I had done enough walking around Shops, Museums etc. and would stay at the Campsite today to do the washing and cleaning + it is pouring with rain.
Good chill out day with no driving.
We are stopping at this same campsite tonight and moving South tomorrow.
All for now
Phil

3 comments:

  1. hope the rain stops - we have finally got a bit of sun after a torrent of the beastly stuff! :o)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking in for Mike.... I see Simon is now near Scarborough - Hope the weather improves!! 11/6/10
    Mike, Joan etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is an amazing travelogue and makes my feet itch , note there doesn,t seem to be so much re food these days which is good for my waistline as the descriptions always made me ravenous. hope the weather gats better for simon as we have had pretty poor summer so far.

    ReplyDelete